Make the perfect grilled steak with this easy recipe. This is delicious, tender, and juicy thick-cut steak grilled in the oven.
Oven Grilled Steak is a foolproof and easy way to make a juicy steak in the oven. Use this simple trick – roast in the oven, THEN sear on the stovetop – to create the perfect steak that’s caramelized, juicy, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
• Prep and cook time: 40 minutes (including rest time for the steak)
• Yield: Serves 2
• olive oil
• seasonings like sea salt and black pepper
• sirloin steak, recommend to be cut 1 to 1.5 inches thick
• baking sheet and an oven rack: I use a rack so the heat can circulate under the steak, and you won't have to flip over the meat while cooking.
• an instant-read thermometer: a cooking thermometer is the best to ensure with 100% accuracy that your steak reaches the exact degree of preferred doneness.
• a skillet: I recommend using a cast-iron skillet if you have one. It will hold heat the best and cook the steak evenly. If not, a nonstick heavy-bottomed skillet will do just fine.
- Let steak rest out on the counter for 20 to 30 minutes, to reach room temperature.
- Next, line a baking sheet with foil and set a rack over the baking sheet.
- Blot steaks dry with paper towels and rub both sides of steak with oil. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Grill in the oven for 20-30 minutes, depending on how you like it cooked.
- Cover the bottom of a cast iron skillet with oil.
- Next, remove the steaks from oven and transfer to the hot skillet.
- Continue cooking steaks for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until browned and a bit crisp.
- Last, we transfer the steaks to a cutting board. Let the steaks rest for 10 minutes to lock in all those delicious juices. Cut serve and enjoy!
* Guide for steak doneness: Use an Instant Read Meat Thermometer:
• 125˚F to 130˚F internal temperature for RARE
• 135˚F to 140˚F internal temperature for MEDIUM RARE
• 145˚F to 150˚F internal temperature for MEDIUM TO MEDIUM-WELL
• 160˚F internal temperature for WELL DONE
• The FDA recommends that steak be cooked to an internal temperature of 145˚F.
* How to store oven grilled steal: Once the steak has been cooked, it can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I would recommend letting the steak cool to near room temperature before placing it in the refrigerator.
* Can I freeze cooked meat: Yes, leftover cooked beef, pork, or chicken doesn’t have to sit in the refrigerator; you can freeze it for couple months so it’s ready when you need it. I love to prep beef, pork, or chicken on the weekend and use them all week for quick lunches and dinners.
* How long is frozen cooked steak good for?
• The USDA recommends to throw away uncooked roasts, steaks, and chops after a year in the freezer; uncooked ground meat after just 4 months.
• Frozen cooked meat should be thrown out after 3 months.
* How do I properly reheat a cooked steak?
• When you defrost your steak, do so in the refrigerator; take it out of the freezer the night before and leave in the fridge overnight. Take it out of the fridge and let rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before reheating.
• Reheat in a 250˚F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until heated through.
This great family recipe is thanks to Diethood at https://diethood.com/oven-grilled-steak/