Spicy Masala Chicken Wings - these crispy baked wings are full of flavor and the perfect spicy game day appetizers.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
For the Marinade:
• 2 tbsps ginger garlic paste or freshly grated ginger and garlic plus 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
• 2 tbsps low sodium soy sauce I used GF Tamari
• 2 lbs chicken wings I used 1.5 lbs
For the Sauce:
• 1 tsp vegetable oil
• 8-10 cloves of garlic very thinly sliced
• 2-5 green chillies or to taste, thinly sliced
• 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
• 2 tsps low sodium soy sauce I used GF Tamari
• 1 tbsp chili sauce I used Sriracha
• 1 tbsp ketchup
• 1/2 cup fresh pineapple or orange juice no canned stuff
• 1 tsp cornstarch
• 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
• 1 scallion finely chopped
• 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- Combine the soy sauce and ginger garlic paste in a large zip-top bag. Add the chicken, seal the bag, then shake and squeeze until coated well. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil wrap (or parchment paper) and top with a wire cooling rack. Arrange the marinated wings in a single layer on the rack. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through and crispy. You can baste the chicken with the marinade once during the baking process.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce while the chicken is baking. Heat the oil in a saute pan over very low heat. Add the sliced garlic and green chilies. Fry for 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Stir in the garam masala, soy sauce, chili sauce, and ketchup.
- In a small cup, whisk together the pineapple or orange juice with cornstarch, until smooth. Add it to the pan while whisking continuously. Once the sauce thickens and has a good consistency, turn off the heat. Taste and add salt, as needed.
- Add the ground pepper and green onions.
- Add the cooked chicken to the pan while the sauce is still hot and toss well.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with chopped cilantro.
This great family recipe is thanks to Life-Made-Sweeter Recipes at https://lifemadesweeter.com/spicy-sticky-chicken-wings/