• Prep time: 45 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 24
For the meatballs:
• kosher salt
• 2 large eggs
• 1/2 cup diced onion
• 1 pound ground lamb
• 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
• 1/2 tsp ground coriander
• 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp fennel seeds, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
• 2 ounces fresh goat cheese (1/4 cup)
• 1/2 pound merguez (spicy lamb sausage) or hot Itlian sausage, castings removed
For the sauce:
• kosher salt
• 1/2 tsp sugar
• 1/2 tsp dried oregano
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 28-ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
For the sliders:
• 24 slider rolls
• 1/8 tsp dried oregano
• 1 1/2 tbsps whole milk
• 1/4 tsp chopped fresh dill
• 1/4 tsp chopped fresh thyme
• 1/4 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
• 2 1/2 tbsps marscarpone cheese
• 1/2 pounds fresh goat cheese (1 cup)
• pickled sliced cucumbers, for serving
• kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Make the meatballs: Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the coriander, fennel seeds and rosemary; toast 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and refrigerate until cool.
- Meanwhile, roll the goat cheese into 1/2-inch balls (the size of marbles); set aside.
- Add the sausage, ground lamb, breadcrumbs, eggs and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the bowl with the spice mixture and mix with your hands until just combined. Roll into 24 small ovals (about 2 tablespoons meat each). Make an indentation in each with your thumb, then insert a goat cheese ball and form the meat around it. Roll between your hands to make a smooth ball. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
Make the sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the sugar; cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add the oregano.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Assemble the sliders: Beat the goat cheese, mascarpone and milk in a bowl with a wooden spoon. Stir in the oregano, rosemary, thyme, dill, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Spread the goat cheese mixture on each roll; fill with the pickled cucumbers, meatballs and more sauce.
This great family recipe is thanks to Food Network Recipes at https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/lamb-meatball-sliders-recipe-1973304