This is such a simple and easy recipe to make. Just marinate the meat ahead of time and then it's cooked in minutes. It ticks all the healthy eating boxes and it's full of flavour.
• Prep time: 4 hours
• Cook time: 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 150g firm tofu
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 tbsp cornflour
• 1 tsp ginger fresh
• 6 tbsps soy sauce
• 3 tbsps brown sugar
• 350g beef fillet steak
• 1 brown onion medium
• 100g button mushrooms
• 2 tbsps Chinese rice wine
• 1 red apple halved medium
• 1/4 tsp chilli powder to taste
• 1 splash peanut oil for frying
• 2 spring onions finely sliced
• 2 zucchini shredded into noodles
• 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste
• 1 punnet mixed gourmet mushrooms
• 2 long red chillies to taste, finely sliced
• 4 1/2 cups Massel beef style liquid stock
• 100g Korean sweet potato glass noodles
• 3 tsps Massel reduced-salt chicken stock powder
- Freeze the fillet steak overnight and once frozen, slice very thinly. Process 1/2 of the brown onion, garlic, ginger, apple, soy sauce, rice wine, sugar and pepper until smooth, then combine with the steak and marinate for 4 hours.
- Cut button mushrooms into thick slices, trim the gourmet mushrooms, slice the remaining onion thinly, lengthwise. Arrange around the edge of a low sided, heavy based saute pan. Soak the Korean sweet potato noodles in hot water until softened, then add to the pan.
- Remove the steak from the marinade, place in the centre of the pan, add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 8 – 10 minutes, adding the zucchini noodles for the last 3 minutes.
- While the hot pot is cooking, cut the tofu into bite-sized cubes, combine the cornflour, Massel chicken stock powder and chilli powder, then place in a small freezer bag, then add the tofu and gently toss to coat.
- Heat enough peanut oil to cover the base of a frypan, fry the tofu, turning regularly, until golden and crunchy. Drain on kitchen paper. Keep warm.
- To serve - Place 1/4 of the noodles into individual bowls, arrange the 1/4 of the meat and vegetables, on top, season the stock and divide between the bowls, add the fried tofu and garnish with red chilli and spring onion.
This great family recipe is thanks to Best Recipes Recipes at https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipes/korean-bulgogi-hotpot-recipe/ab8prb8d