• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 600g lean beef mince (makes 24)
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 1 tsp finely grated ginger
• ¼ cup panko crumbs
• 270g soba noodles
• ¼ cup sweet soy
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• ¼ cup mirin
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• ½ cup rice wine vinegar
• 4 sprigs rosemary
• 4 pink radish, washed and sliced
• 1 Lebanese cucumber, roughly chopped on the diagonal
• 1 bok choy, quartered lengthways
• 1 long red chilli, slit in half lengthways but kept whole at the stem
- Place beef mince, soy, garlic, ginger and panko crumbs in a large bowl and mix until combined. Roll into 24 meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each. Soak bamboo skewers in water for 10 minutes, drain and closely thread 3 meatballs onto each skewer.
- Place chopped vegetables in a large heatproof bowl. Place rice vinegar, a pinch of salt flakes and 2 sprigs rosemary in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, turn off heat and pour vinegar over vegetables, turn to coat and cover with a lid. Leave to pickle for 5-10 minutes for crunchy pickles. Drain before serving.
- Combine glaze ingredients in a bowl and use remaining 2 rosemary sprigs for brushing glaze onto meatballs after cooking.
- Drizzle meatballs with a little oil or spray with oil spray and then place on a preheated BBQ on medium to high heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes then turn over and cook for another 5 minutes. Brush meatballs with glaze using the rosemary skewers while on the BBQ, and brush with extra glaze to serve.
- Cook soba noodles according to packet directions, drain. Serve skewers with pickled vegetables and soba noodles.
- When turning meatballs on the BBQ, use a palette knife or metal spatula to help you turn them as they have a tendency to stick, and the bamboo skewers get hot.
- Meatballs can be made ahead and frozen. Bake from frozen at 180C fan forced for 15-20 minutes. Glaze in final 5 minutes.
- Try with lamb or veal mince.
This great family recipe is thanks to Australian Beef Recipes at https://www.australianbeef.com.au/recipes/japanese-beef-tsukune-glazed-meatballs-with-soba-noodles-and-pickled-vegetables/