Instant Pot Chinese Lemon Chicken – an easy homemade pressure cooker recipe of the classic Asian Takeout-Style Lemon Chicken. This healthier low carb / keto version of the popular favorite has a light and crispy coating covered in a flavorful sweet, savory and tangy lemon sauce.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 3/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 1/3 cup almond meal
• 1 egg white lightly beaten
• 1/4 cup finely crushed pork rinds
• 2 tbsps avocado oil or olive oil, for sauteing
• 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
For the sauce:
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
• 2 clove garlic, minced
• 1/3 cup coconut sminos
• 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
• 3 tbsps fresh squeezed lemon juice
• 1-2 tbsps golden monk fruit sweetener
• 2-3 tbsps water, plus more to thin out sauce
• 1/2 tsp Sriracha hot sauce to taste (Optional)
For the garnish:
• Green onions and sesame seeds
- Combine the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl. Measure out 3 tablespoons and add to a large mixing bowl. Set aside the saucepan. To the mixing bowl, lightly beat in the egg white and add chicken pieces. Mix well.
- In a large zip-top freezer bag, combine the almond meal, pork rinds, salt, and black pepper. Add the chicken and shake well to coat.
- Turn your Instant Pot to SAUTE then add in oil. Once oil is hot, add the chicken and cook for 1-2 minutes, until a brown coating appears (chicken will not be cooked through which is fine). You may have to work in batches.
- Once you've browned all the chicken, place back in the Instant Pot and pour in the remaining sauce along with 1/3 cup water (or chicken broth). Cover with lid.
- Press the valve to SEALING and press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes. The Instant Pot will take some time to come to pressure. Once the 4 minutes is up, use a long spoon and push the valve to VENTING for a QUICK RELEASE.
- Once all the pressure is released, carefully unlock the lid. Press the SAUTE button, then whisk the arrowroot starch (or xanthum gum) with 2 tablespoons water until combined and stir into the Instant Pot. Allow sauce to cook until it bubbles and thicken.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to what you prefer - add additional lemon for tangier, more sweetener for sweeter and sriracha for spicier, if desired.
This great family recipe is thanks to Life-Made-Sweeter Recipes at https://lifemadesweeter.com/chinese-lemon-chicken/