Home-style Lamb Casserole
Nothing spells comfort food like a gorgeous chunky lamb hot pot, stewed to tender perfection.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 1 hour & 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 1.5kg diced lamb
• 20g butter, chopped
• 1 1/2 cups couscous
• 250g cauliflower florets
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 1/2 cups boiling water
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• 2 cups Massel beef stock
• 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
• 2 medium brown onions, chopped
• 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
• 500g orange sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook lamb, in batches, stirring, for 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 tbs oil in pan. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in stock and tomatoes. Return lamb and any juices to pan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add sweet potato. Cook for 10 minutes or until almost tender. Add caulifower. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Season.
- Place couscous and butter. In a large heatproof bowl. Stir in boiling water. Cover. Set aside for 5 minutes. Using a fork, fluff to separate grains.
- Serve half the casserole spooned over couscous and sprinkled with parsley. Allow remaining casserole to cool. Spoon into an airtight container. Refrigerate until required.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste at https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/home-style-lamb-casserole/c1d69878-84d6-4741-87ee-a8a9dfc74695