Warm and comforting, this soup is perfect for a crisp day!
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 50 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
• 1 medium onion chopped
• 8 ounces button mushrooms sliced
• 1 1/4 pounds chuck roast or beef for stew, cut into 1/2" dice
• 3 medium turnips peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
• 3 medium carrots peeled and cut into bite size pieces
• 1 15- ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
• 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
• 1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary
• 2 bay leaves
• 6 cups low sodium beef broth or stock
• 4 cups kale tough stems removed, chopped
• 1/2 cup farro or substitute barley
• salt and pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven or heavy soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and a sprinkle of salt (about 1/4 teaspoon), cook and stir until mushrooms begin to brown and give up some of their liquid. Transfer the mushrooms to a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the pot and add the beef. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and chopped vegetables and stir to combine. Simmer on the stove for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile tie the thyme and rosemary together with kitchen string. Add the herbs to the pot along with the bay leaves and tomatoes. Stir in the broth and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and farro and simmer for 10-15 minutes more. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to Yummly Recipes at https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Healthy-Vegetable-Beef-Soup-1448484#directions