Take the big flavor of this Italian Sausage and add bell peppers, almonds, raisins, onions, Italian dressing and pineapple for flavors elevated to the next level.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 2 tbsps sugar
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1/4 cup raisins
• 3 tbsps slivered almonds
• 3 tbsps apple cider vinegar
• 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
• 3 tbsps Italian salad dressing
• 1 medium red onion, wedge cut
• 2 packages (about 19 ounces) sausages
• 2 medium red bell peppers, quartered and seeded
• 2 medium green bell peppers, quartered and seeded
• 1 roll prepared polenta, cut 1/2 inch rounds or pineapple, cut 1/2 inch rounds
- In a small skillet, cook and stir almonds over medium-low heat until golden; about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in raisins; remove from heat and let stand for 1 minute.
- Carefully stir in the vinegar, sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Return to medium-low heat, cook and stir until sugar is dissolved; about 2 minutes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine peppers and onions; drizzle with oil and toss gently to coat.
- Grill sausage according to package directions. Grill vegetables uncovered until tender; about for 15 minutes. Turning veggies halfway through grilling.
- While sausages and vegetables are grilling, brush slices of polenta or pineaple with Italian dressing; grill on each side until golden; about 2 minutes.
- Return grilled vegetables to large bowl; add almond mixture and toss gently to coat.
- Arrange sausage on a large platter with the grilled polenta or pineapple and vegetable mixture.
This great family recipe is thanks to Johnsonville at https://www.johnsonville.com/recipe/grilled-italian-sausage-with-sweet-sour-peppers.html