This may be one of your Chinese take-out staples, but it’s also the perfect dish to throw on the grill this summer. The sweet chicken is laced with rice wine, soy sauce and Sriracha for a punch of flavor that pairs perfectly with the smokiness from the grill.
• Prep time: 20 minutes, plus overnight marinating
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1/3 cup ketchup
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• 2 tbsps Sriracha
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
• 2 tbsps vegetable oil
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 tbsps shaoxing rice wine
• 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
• one 3 1/2 to 4-ounce chicken, cut into 8 pieces
• kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1 small (6-ounce) red beet, peeled and roughly chopped
- In a blender, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, Sriracha, rice wine, hoisin sauce, five-spice powder, sesame oil and chopped beet. Purée until smooth. Transfer to a sealable plastic bag, add the chicken and shake to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, light a grill. Remove the chicken from the marinade, wiping off any excess sauce and place the chicken in a medium bowl. Toss with the vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning as needed, until charred and reading 165º on a meat thermometer, 16 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter and let rest 5 minutes, then serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to Tasting Table Recipes at https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/char-siu-chicken-grilling-recipe