Grilled Beef and Meatball Vermicelli Salad
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 5 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 tsp sugar
• 1 carrot, julienne
• 2 tbsps fish sauce
• 1 cucumber, sliced
• 1 tsp white vinegar
• 1 tbsp sunflower oil
• 200g beef sausages
• 2 tbsps coconut water
• ½ cup thai basil leaves
• 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
• 300g beef oyster blade, fat trimmed
• 2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
• 3 tsps lime juice, plus wedges to serve
• 180g bean thread vermicelli (3 bundles)
• 2 cups shredded cabbage (green, or wombok)
- Thinly slice beef and place in a bowl, discarding any sinew. Roll sausage filling into small meatballs and place in bowl with sliced beef. Drizzle with oil and toss gently to coat. Grill on a hot bbq plate or frying pan – 4 to 5 minutes for meatballs, 2 to 3 minutes for beef.
- Mix coconut water, chilli, garlic, lime, vinegar, fish sauce and sugar in a bowl until sugar dissolves. Drizzle a little dressing over the chargrilled beef and meatballs. Reserve remaining dressing for salad.
- Soak vermicelli in cold water until transparent, about 10 minutes. Drain, pour over boiling water for 1 minute until tender, drain.
- Mix cabbage, cucumber and carrot in a large bowl with noodles and toss with remaining dressing. Top with beef, meatballs, thai basil and lime wedges.
• Make your own meatballs with mince, herbs, some finely diced onion, an egg and a little polenta or breadcrumbs. Freeze half to have some on hand for next time.
• You can swap coconut water for water
This great family recipe is thanks to Australian Beef Recipes at https://www.australianbeef.com.au/recipes/vietnamese-grilled-beef-and-meatball-vermicelli-salad/#