Greek Grilled Scallop Sandwiches
I use grilled, sliced scallop as the "bread" in his playful version of a finger sandwich, filled with plums, prosciutto and pea tendrils and topped with Greek yogurt.
• Prep and cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4 (first-course serving)
• extra-virgin olive oil
• 36 pea tendrils (1 cup)
• 1 1/2 tsps rice vinegar
• 1 small black plum, thinly sliced
• pinch of saffron threads, crumbled
• sea salt and freshly ground pepper
• 12 large sea scallops (1 1/4 pounds)
• 1/4 cup Greek style whole milk yogurt
• 2 thin slices of prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- Light a grill. In a bowl, combine the yogurt, saffron and vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the plum slices with oil and grill over high heat until lightly charred, 30 seconds per side. Brush the scallops with oil, season with salt and pepper and grill them over high heat until charred and just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Cut each scallop in half crosswise. Place a plum slice on the bottom half of each scallop. Lay the prosciutto strips over the plums, then top each one with 2 pea tendrils and cover with the scallop tops. Secure with toothpicks and put 3 on each plate. Top each scallop sandwich with 1 teaspoon of the yogurt sauce and garnish with the remaining pea tendrils. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to FOOD & WINE at https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/greek-grilled-scallop-sandwiches