Fried Chicken Sandwich
• Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus marinating time
• Cook Time: 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
For the chicken:
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1 tbsp kosher salt
• 1 garlic cloves, minced
• Four 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the pickle vegetable slaw:
• ¼ cup mayo
• 2 tbsp honey
• 2 tbsps sugar
• 1½ cups water
• 1 tsp celery seeds
• ½ red onion, thinly sliced
• 1½ cups white wine vinegar
• 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
• freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 2 tbsps salt, plus more to taste
• 1 tbsp whole coriander seeds, toasted
• 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage, divided
• 1 cup thinly sliced green cabbage, divided
• 1 serrano chile-stemmed, seeded and julienned
- Marinate the chicken: In a bowl, toss together the buttermilk, salt, garlic and chicken breasts. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the pickled vegetable slaw: In a medium bowl, toss together ½ cup of red cabbage and ½ cup of green cabbage with the carrot, chile and red onion, and set aside. In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, water, salt, sugar, coriander seeds and celery seeds to a boil. Remove from the heat and pour over the tossed vegetables. Let cool completely, then drain, discarding the pickling liquid. Toss the pickled vegetables with the remaining ½ cup of red cabbage, ½ cup of green cabbage, mayo and honey. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Make the special sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, ketchup, Dijon and chile paste. Set aside.
- Make the sandwich: In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt. In a separate small bowl, beat the eggs. Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade, scraping off the majority of the liquid. One breast at a time, dredge in the flour mixture, coat in beaten egg, then return to the flour mixture for a second coating. Place each breast on a plate until ready to fry.
- Line a plate with paper towels. In a high-sided 12-inch skillet, heat the canola oil to 350°. Panfry the chicken breasts, flipping once, until golden brown and cooked to an internal temperature of 165°, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to the paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Spread the bottom half of the buns with the special sauce and layer with dill pickle slices. Top each with a piece of fried chicken, a pile of pickled slaw and the remaining bun tops. Serve immediately.
This great family recipe is thanks to Tasting Table Recipes at https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/ultimate-fried-chicken-sandwich-pickled-vegetable-slaw-potato-bun-dill-pickle