Cioppino is a delicious seafood stew with a rich tomato base and loaded with all your favorite seafood like white fish, clams, mussels, and shrimp. It’s got a wonderfully rich and bright flavor and it’s sure to satisfy everyone at the dinner table. This is an easy Italian-American soup to make right at home!
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 50 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 2 shallots
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 tsps sugar
• 1/2 lb mussels
• 3 tbsps olive oil
• 2 medium carrots
• 1 tsp dried thyme
• 4 - 5 garlic cloves
• 4 oz tomato paste
• 1 1/2 garlic cloves
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 1 tbsp dried parsley
• 1 lb white fish of choice
• 1 tsp garlic garlic powder
• 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
• 2 small leeks or 1 large leek
• 1 lb jumbo shrimp deveined
• 1 tsp salt more or less to taste
• 1/2 lb manila clams or littleneck clams
• 2 1/2 - 3 cups fish stock or seafood stock
• 1 tsp red pepper flakes more or less to taste
• 2 - 14.5 oz cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Prepare all the ingredients first by dicing and slicing the vegetables, measuring liquids and seasoning, and scrubbing the clams and mussels.
- Preheat a large Dutch oven over medium heat and add olive oil. Add shallots, leek, and carrots and sauté until vegetables soften and star to brown.
- Smash and mince garlic and add it to the pot. Sauté just until garlic is fragrant and pour in wine.
- Bring it to simmer and let it simmer for a minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings, and fish stock. Mix everything together and taste to see if you need more salt.
- Let the soup simmer over medium-low heat for 20-25 minutes for the flavors to come together. Taste to see if you need more spice from red pepper flakes.
- Add mussels and clams and submerge them into the broth. Cover the pot with a lid and let them cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped white fish and shrimp and make sure they are also submerged into broth. Cover and cook another 5 minutes or so, until fish is opaque, shrimp is cooked through, and clams and mussels have opened.
- Serve right away with some sourdough bread of bread of choice!
This great family recipe is thanks to WILL COOK FOR SMILES at https://www.willcookforsmiles.com/cioppino/