A cross between a soup and a stew, this hearty sausage 'stoup' is the perfect addition to your midweek menu.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
• 500g thick pork sausages
• 500g packet tri-colour capsicum, chopped
• 2 red onions, cut into wedges
• 4 garlic cloves, sliced
• 3 sprigs fresh basil, plus extra leaves to serve
• 2 x 410g cans cherry tomatoes
• 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 2 teaspoons caster sugar
• Shaved parmesan, to serve
• 4 slices garlic bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook sausages, turning, for 6 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Add capsicum and onion to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add garlic and basil. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, stock cubes, vinegar, sugar and 11/4 cups water. Bring to a simmer.
Thickly slice sausages diagonally. Add to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 15 minutes or until mixture thickens and sausages are cooked through. Remove and discard basil sprigs.
- Top stoup with extra basil and parmesan. Serve with garlic bread.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste Recipes at https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/easy-sausage-peperonata-stoup/UMn7cxnW?r=recipes/sausagerecipes&c=9b68d69e-2711-445b-8087-66061c71a108/Sausage%20recipes