Duck Breast with Crushed Potatoes, Asparagus and Spiced Sauce
• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• 400g roasting potatoes
• 2 Tblsp Luv-a-Duck, Duck Fat
• 1 head of garlic, broken into cloves
• 2 Tblsp chopped oregano
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 small shallot, finely chopped
• 1 cinamon stick
• 1/2 tsp ground ginger
• 2 cardamom pods
• 10 pink peppercorns
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tbsp castor sugar
• 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
• 1 tbsp Grand Mariner
• 300ml Duck Stock (can be substituted with chicken stock)
• 4 Luv-a-Duck Moisture Infused Duck Breasts
• Salt and pepper
• 2 bunches asparagus
• 20g of butter
To cook the potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into even sized pieces, put into a saucepan, with plenty of cold salted water, bring to the boil and allow to simmer until tender. Do not overcook. Drain the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes back into the pan in which they were cooked and add the Duck Fat and the salt and pepper.
- Cover with the lid on and give them a vigorous shake to rough up the edges and coat them with the Duck Fat.
- Place potatoes in a roasting tray with the garlic cloves in a single layer and roast in the oven for approximately 40 minutes or until golden and crunchy.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix with oregano.
To make the sauce:
- Meanwhile in a saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the shallot, spices and bay leaf, cook until the shallots are translucent and are soft in texture.
- Deglaze the pan with the vinegar, add the sugar and reduce, cooking until a light caramel colour.
- Add the Grand Mariner and orange juice and reduce by two thirds, or until it resembles a syrup. Add the Duck Stock and reduce the sauce by two thirds.
- Pass through a fine sieve, discarding the shallots and spices, and pour the sauce back into the saucepan. Set aside until needed.
To cook the duck:
- Score the skin of the duck breast by making shallow cuts and season both sides of the breast with salt and pepper.
- Place duck breast in medium warm pan skin-side down and cook until brown and crispy, 4-5 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Steam the Asparagus.
- Return the sauce to heat, whisk the butter and check the seasoning.
- Cut the Duck Breast into slices and serve with the sauce and crushed potatoes and asparagus.
This great family recipe is thanks to Luv-a-Duck Recipes at http://www.luvaduck.com.au/recipes/view/duck-breast-with-crushed-potatoes-asparagus-and-spiced-sauce/31/