• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 4 Luv-a-Duck Fresh Duck Breasts
• 4 cups (1 litre) Luv-a-Duck Duck Stock
• 2 tbsp Luv-a-Duck Duck Fat
• 1 brown onion, diced
• 2 tsp garlic, crushed
• 1 1⁄3 cup arborio rice
• 1⁄2 cup white wine
• 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed and cut into three
• 1⁄3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring stock to the boil in a saucepan, reduce the heat and hold at a simmer.
- Heat duck fat in a medium pot over moderate heat and cook onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until soft. Add rice, stirring to coat the grains and toast for 1 minute or until rice is translucent. Pour in wine and simmer until almost evaporated. Stir in the stock, one ladleful at a time, allowing each to be absorbed before adding the next. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 20-25 minutes or until al dente. Add an extra ladle of stock with the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes until tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese and season with black pepper.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 190°C. Pat duck skin dry, score the skin and season with salt. In a medium pan over moderate heat, place the duck breasts skin side down into the pan for 5 minutes or until skin is golden. Turn the duck breast over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and place on a lined baking tray. Roast the duck in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or to your liking. Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes before slicing. For best results, duck should be cooked medium rare.
- Spoon risotto into serving bowls and top with sliced duck, shaved Parmesan and extra black pepper.
This great family recipe is thanks to Luv-a-Duck Recipes at http://www.luvaduck.com.au/recipes/view/duck-asparagus-risotto/31/