Crispy-Skin Salmon with Smashed Lemon, Caper and Olive Oil Potatoes
This is a quick and easy meal to put together that’s suitable for a casual weekday, but also a more special occasion dinner. Salmon is best served medium rare, so it doesn’t take long to cook.
• Prep and cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
For smashed potatoes:
• 3 tbsps dill, chopped
• 800g waxy potatoes (main)
• 3 tbsps capers, up to 4 tbsps
• 1 lemon, finely grated zest and juice
• 1/4 cup flat leaf (Italian) parsley, chopped
• 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil, good quality, up to 4 tbsps
For salmon & asparagus:
• 1 knob butter
• 2 bunches asparagus
• 1 lemon, cut into wedges
• 4 boneless salmon fillets, 120 - 150g each (skin-on)
- Place potatoes in a pot and cover with water and 1 tsp salt.
- Bring to the boil and cook until potatoes are tender, 12-15 minutes.
- Season both sides of salmon with salt. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large frying pan on medium to high heat.
- Cook salmon, skin-side-down, until skin is crispy, 2-3 minutes.
- Flip and cook flesh side for a further 1-2 minutes until salmon is almost cooked through (salmon is best served medium rare).
- Set salmon aside to rest for a few minutes while you cook the asparagus.
- Wash asparagus spears and add to the hot frying pan, cover and steam for about 2 minutes until bright green and just tender.
- Add butter and toss with asparagus.
- Drain potatoes and gently crush (smash) potatoes with a fork.
- Gently toss smashed potatoes with capers, lemon zest and juice, dill, parsley and olive oil, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve: Spoon some potatoes on each plate and top with a piece of salmon and asparagus spears.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon on the side.
This great family recipe is thanks to eat well at https://www.nzherald.co.nz/eatwell/recipes/crispy-skin-salmon-with-smashed-lemon-caper-and-olive-oil-potatoes/MAYBOIQ4YLJYRHGBOIXVVXLYZU/