These delicious duck spring rolls a lift with a punchy BBQ sauce. Amazing!
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
For spring roll filling:
• 1 tsp of soy sauce
• 3 tsps of sesame oil
• 1 carrot, finely sliced
• 175g of beansprouts
• 1 lime, zest and juice
• 25g of sesame seeds
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 lemon, zest and juice
• 1 orange, zest and juice
• 2 duck breasts, thinly sliced
• 75g of mangetout, thinly sliced
• 2 small red chillies, finely chopped
• 2 tsps of root ginger, peeled and chopped
• 250g of peppers, mixed, de-seeded and finely sliced
For barbecue sauce:
• 20g of honey
• 2 tbsps of olive oil
• 4 shallots, small dice
• 25g of sesame seeds
• 25g of cayenne pepper
• 275ml of chicken stock
• 2 tbsps of red wine vinegar
• 2 tbsps of balsamic vinegar
• 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
• 200g of peppers, de-seeded and finely diced
For spring rolls:
• 1 egg, beaten
• 4 spring roll sheets
• vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Start with the barbecue sauce. Heat the olive oil in a wok and add peppers, sesame seeds, shallots, cayenne and chilli. Cover and sweat over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the honey, red wine vinegar, balsamic and chicken stock and bring to the boil. Gently simmer until reduced by half and remove from heat. Transfer to a jug and keep warm.
- Start the filling by cleaning and drying the wok. Place on a medium to light heat and add the duck. When the fat starts to render, remove the duck from the wok with a slotted spoon and wipe the wok clean.
- Heat the sesame oil in the wok and add the peppers, carrot, chilli, grated ginger and soy sauce. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic, mangetout, beansprouts, sesame seeds, citrus zest and juice and heat until the duck is cooked through. Combine well and transfer into a bowl, wipe the wok clean.
- Heat the deep fryer or large pot of oil to 180°C.
- Lightly brush the spring roll wrappers with the beaten egg. Spoon the stir-fried mixture into the centre of each one and roll up, tucking in the ends before you make the final layer.
- Deep-fry the spring rolls until golden brown, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen roll. Serve immediately with the barbecue sauce.
This great family recipe is thanks to Gressingham Duck at https://www.gressinghamduck.co.uk/recipes/crispy-duck-bbq-spring-rolls/