Creamy Spinach Stuffed Salmon in garlic butter is a new delicious way to enjoy salmon! Filled with cream cheese, spinach, parmesan cheese and garlic, this salmon beats anything found in a restaurant. A low carb salmon recipe that includes pan friend and oven baked methods!
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
For the salmon:
• 2 tbsps lemon juice
• 1 tbsp unsalted butter
• 2 tbsps olive oil divided
• 4 skinless salmon fillets
• salt and pepper to season
• 2 tsps minced garlic
• salt and pepper, to taste
• 4 oz (120g) frozen spinach thawed
• 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
• 4 oz (120g) cream cheese at room temp
Optional garlic butter:
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 1 tbsp minced garlic
• 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Place each salmon fillet on a flat surface. Season both sides with salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil and lemon juice. Cut a slit or pocket about 3/4 quarter of the way through, being careful not to cut all the way.
- Squeeze excess liquid out of the spinach discard liquid. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the spinach, cream cheese, parmesan cheese and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill salmon 'pockets' with 1-2 tablespoons of the spinach dip, spreading evenly with the back of the spoon.
For Stove Top:
- Heat butter and remaining oil in a skillet (or non stick pan) over medium-high heat. Add the salmon and fry until golden (about 6 to 7 minutes). Carefully flip and allow to cook on the other side until golden and cooked through (another 6-7 minutes, depending on the size of your fillets).
- Optional: cover with a lid and continue cooking for a further 2-3 minutes, if necessary, until cooked through.
- Transfer to a warm plate to make garlic butter.
- Garlic Butter: Melt the butter in the remaining oil/juices in the pan leftover from the salmon. Add the garlic and lemon juice; saute until garlic is fragrant (about 30 seconds). Remove and serve with the salmon.
For Oven Baked Salmon:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place stuffed salmon fillets in a shallow lightly greased baking pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until salmon is cooked through, opaque in centre and flakes easily with fork.
- Pour pan juices out into a skillet or frying pan. Add butter, garlic and lemon juice; saute until garlic is fragrant (about 30 seconds). Remove and serve with the salmon.
NOTES: If you have too much cream cheese, you can create a creamy sauce with it for serving:
- Mix remaining cream cheese mixture with 1/4 cup fish or chicken stock and 1/4 cup heavy cream (or thickened cream) in saucepan
- Bring to a gentle boil, stirring frequently, until combined and warmed through.
* If you're wanting to save the reserved dip for later instead of using it in a cream sauce, simply refrigerate it up to 4 days OR freeze up to 3 months in a plastic container.
This great family recipe is thanks to Cafe Delites at https://cafedelites.com/creamy-spinach-stuffed-salmon/