This Cider Braised Sausage and Fennel is a great low-carb recipe made in a single skillet. The perfect one-pot wonder!
To make this super simple recipe, you’ll start by searing the sausages until they’re nice and golden. Golden = flavor. Then, you’ll braise the fennel in the same pan with a touch of dry hard cider (you can also use dry white wine or vegetable stock) until it’s nice and tender. Top it all off with some freshly shaved parmesan cheese and a touch of lemon and you’ve got one epic meal.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 45 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 lemon grated and juiced
• 1/4 cup avocado oil divided
• 1/2 cup dry hard apple cider
• 1/4 cup sliced Parmesan cheese
• 2 fennel bulbs cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
• 1 package of any types of sausages you like
• salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place a 10” or larger cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle in 1 tablespoon of oil and brown the sausages for 3-4 minutes per side until browned. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. When hot and working in batches, add the fennel to the pan in a single layer and brown for 3-4 minutes per side until golden. Remove and repeat with remaining fennel.
- Add all of the fennel and sausages back to the skillet along with the cider, lemon rind, and juice and bring to a boil. Bring to a simmer, covered, for about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and remove the solids with a slotted spoon and place on a serving tray. Bring the sauce to a boil until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the sausage and fennel and top with parmesan to serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to CAST IRON KETO at https://www.castironketo.net/blog/cider-braised-sausage-and-fennel/