With a combination of 3 meats in a homemade marinara sauce, these tender meatballs are full of savory flavor that will put any pasta dish over the top.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 20
• 1/2 pound ground beef
• 1/2 pound ground pork
• 1/2 pound ground veal
• 2 large eggs lightly beaten
• 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
• 4 cloves garlic finely chopped and sautéed
• 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
• 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 cup olive oil
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 Spanish onion finely chopped
• 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
• 56 oz. canned plum tomatoes and their juice pureed in a blender
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 bunch parsley
• 1 pinch red pepper flakes
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• 6 basil leaves sliced into strips
- Combine all ingredients, (except the oil), in a large bowl until well-combined. Roll into 1+1/2 inch balls.
- Heat the oil in a large sautee pan or dutch oven over medium heat and add the meatballs. Let them fry, cooking on each side until lightly browned, but not cooked all the way through. About 10-15 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to tomato sauce and let them simmer on medium low heat for about 45 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and garlic until they’re softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and juice, the bay leaf, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat back down to a light simmer, and add the meatballs.
- Cover the pot and let them simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and parsley prior to serving and mix in the basil. Serve, and enjoy!
• Use enough oil to cover about 1/3 of the meatball. You can use less than the cup that is indicated in the recipe.
• You can substitute the veal and/or pork with ground beef or ground turkey if preferred.
• To serve with pasta, combined with 1 lb. of spaghetti. This is also great with a side of garlic bread!
This great family recipe is thanks to The-Cozy-Cook Recipes at https://thecozycook.com/bobby-flays-meatball-recipe/