Curried sausages always remind us of growing up in Australia. Of the simple, no-fuss family dinners that reached the table with minimal effort. It’s an all-time favourite in both of our families, standing the test of time to be cooked and eaten with as much enthusiasm today as it was back then.
Enjoy this Best Curried Sausages for seriously good comfort food, Aussie style. Grilled sausages, onion slivers and green peas smothered in a thick curry gravy – it’s a satisfying and nourishing dinner your whole family will love.
• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4 - 6
• vegetable oil
• 2 tbsps water
• 6 beef sausages
• 1 tbsp corn flour
• 1 tbsp curry powder
• 1 onion thinly, sliced
• 1 1/2 cups beef stock
• 1/2 - 1 cup green peas
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp ketchup or 1 tsp gravy powder (Optional)
- Heat the oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and fry until just cooked. Turn them often to cook evenly and avoid burning. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, then slice into 4-5 cm pieces.
- In the same frypan add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the curry powder, beef stock and sausages to the pan, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the peas and stir through.
- Mix the cornflour with 2 tbsp water in a small dish. Pour into the pan with the curried sausages and gently mix through. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened nicely.
- Optional step: Add ketchup or gravy powder and mix through for richer flavour.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately over mashed potato or cooked rice.
This great family recipe is thanks to Yummly at https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Best-Curried-Sausages-9028214#directions