Tacos are crunchy, messy and great fun to eat, so it’s no wonder they’re a big hit with the kids. They’re also easy to make – more of an assembly job than a recipe.
• Prep and cook time: 1 hour
• Yield: Serves 6
• 1 onion
• olive oil
• 1 red pepper
• 1 green pepper
• 1 1/2 tsps cumin
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 1 pinch of paprika
• 12 corn taco shells
• 250ml organic beef stock
• 500g quality minced beef
• 1/2 a lime
• 1 spring onion
• 2 ripe tomatoes
• 3 sprigs of fresh coriander
• 1/2 lime
• 2 ripe avocados
• 2 tbsps crème fraîche
- Peel and dice the onion, then deseed and dice the peppers. Soften in 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over a low heat.
- Peel, finely slice and add the garlic, along with the paprika and cumin, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the beef and stir until it has browned.
- Pour in the stock, cover, and cook for 45 minutes, or until reduced and delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
- For the salsa, roughly chop the tomatoes, trim and finely slice the spring onion, then pick and roughly chop the coriander leaves. Combine with the lime juice, then season carefully to taste.
- For the guacamole, halve and destone the avocados, then mash the flesh with a fork. Squeeze in the lime juice, add the crème fraîche, season, and gently mix it all up.
- Spread the taco shells out on a baking tray and place in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes until crisp.
- Fill the shells with the meat, salsa and guacamole or lay everything out and let everyone help themselves.
This great family recipe is thanks to Jamie Oliver at https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/beef-tacos/