Baked Fish with Potato and Fennel Gratin
• Prep and cook time: 2 hours
• Yield: Serves 6
• 50g butter
• 4 potatoes
• 185ml cream
• 2 small fennel bulbs
• lemon wedges, to serve
• 130g grated gruyère cheese
• 6 x 175g firm white fish fillets
• 2 tbsps thinly snipped chives
• 2 bacon slices, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Grease a 19 × 28 cm (7½ × 11¼ inch) rectangular ceramic baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Peel and finely slice the potatoes, place in a bowl and cover with water to stop them discolouring. Trim and finely slice the fennel bulbs, then place in another bowl and cover with water. Drain the potatoes and fennel well. Overlap half the potato slices in the baking dish to form a layer. Top with half the fennel slices, then sprinkle with half the bacon and half the gruyère. Repeat with the remaining potato, fennel, bacon and gruyère, finishing with a layer of gruyère.
- Whisk the cream with half the chives, then pour over the potato mixture. Lightly grease a sheet of foil with some of the butter and cover the dish firmly with the foil. Bake for 45 minutes, then remove and reserve the foil and bake for a further 15 minutes, or until the potato is tender and the cheese is golden.
- Mix the remaining chives and butter in a small bowl. Season the fish fillets with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then spread the butter mixture evenly over the fish. Return the sheet of foil to the baking dish and place the fish over the top.
- Bake for a further 12–15 minutes, or until the fish is just cooked through. Divide the fish among serving plates. Slice the gratin, arrange on the plates and drizzle with the cooking juices. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.
This great family recipe is thanks to Goodfood Recipes at https://www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/baked-fish-with-potato-and-fennel-gratin-20131031-2wn6x