A crowd favorite in the world of Chinese takeout, orange chicken traditionally fries chicken to crispy perfection and smothers the bits in a tangy citrus sauce. Unfortunately, this fast food dish flaunts a less-than-favorable nutritional profile. Luckily, SkinnyMs. has created a light alternative that calls for just six ingredients!
This orange chicken recipe delivers mouthwateringly juicy flavor without a frightening calorie count. Tender cubes of chicken are cooked until lightly golden, and coated in a tasty mixture of bbq sauce, freshly squezed orange juice, and lite soy sauce. With 100% clean ingredients and a protein-packed profile, this awesome recipe puts takeout dishes to shame!
• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 1.25 pounds chicken breast fillets (about 3 breasts), cut into cubes
• 3/4 cup flour (we used white whole wheat)
• 3 tablespoons coconut oil
• 2 navel oranges
• 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
• 2 tablespoon lite soy sauce, optional tamari
- In a gallon-sized ziplock bag, add chicken cubes and flour. Shake vigorously until chicken is well-coated. Remove chicken and shake off excess flour.
- Add oil to a large skillet or wok, turn to medium heat, add cubed chicken and cook until lightly golden on all sides. Remove chicken and place on a paper towel. Drain any remaining oil from skillet.
- Zest oranges and add to a mixing bowl. Squeeze juice from oranges, discard seeds, and add to the same bowl. Add barbecue and soy sauce and whisk to combine.
- Add chicken and sauce mixture to the skillet. Toss to coat chicken. Cook on medium heat until sauce has thickened to desired consistency, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and place on a platter.
- Garnish with green onion slices, if desired. Add remaining sauce from the skillet to a bowl and serve along side chicken.
This great family recipe is thanks to Yummly Recipes at https://www.yummly.com/recipe/6-Ingredient-Orange-Chicken-2345371?prm-v1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=browse-email