This Beef Stroganoff recipe takes the classic beef stroganoff recipe and turns it into an easy slow-cooker meal. Tender beef, hearty mushrooms and a creamy sauce poured over a bowl of warm egg noodles is the definition of comfort food. It also re-heats well.
Using a slow cooker to make the classic beef stroganoff is easy and produces very tender and flavorful meat.
• Prep and cook time: 5 hours & 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/4 tsp salt
• yellow onion
• 8 oz sour cream
• 1/3 cup dry sherry
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 1/2 cups beef broth
• 2 garlic cloves minced
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat
• 1/2 tsp dried thyme crushed
• 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
• 1 lb. cooked egg noodles to serve
• 1/2 tsp smoked paprika or paprika
• 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup sliced green onions or chopped
• 2 tsps snipped fresh dill plus more for garnish
- Cut up any large pieces of stew meat. Heat oil in a large skillet over med/high heat. Brown meat in 2 batches in the hot oil. Drain off fat.
- In a 3 1/2 or 4 qt slow cooker, combine mushrooms, onions, 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika, and 1 bay leaf. Add browned meat then pour beef broth and sherry over all.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 4-5 hours. Meat will be tender. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- (If using low heat setting, turn heat to high) In a medium bowl, whisk together 8 oz sour cream, 1/3 cup flour, and 1/4 cup water until smooth then stir in about 1 cup hot liquid form the slow cooker. Return to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook for another 30 min on high until thickened and bubbly.
- Just before serving, stir in fresh dill. Serve over warm egg noodles and sprinkle with additional snipped fresh dill.
This great family recipe is thanks to Natasha's Kitchen Recipes at https://natashaskitchen.com/slow-cooked-beef-stroganoff/