Seared Asian Beef Fillet with Crunchy Pomelo Salad
This is a really simple salad that pairs seared beef fillet with crunchy veggies, citrusy pomelo and a zingy Asian-style dressing.
• Prep and cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 800g beef fillet
• olive oil for brushing
For the dressing:
• 1 tsp fish sauce
• 1 tbsp rice wine
• Pinch brown sugar
• 2 tsps toasted sesame oil
• 2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
• finely grated zest and juice 2 - 3 limes
For the Salad:
• 1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
• 1 - 2 red chillies, chopped
• large handful beansprouts
• 150g radishes, roughly chopped
• 4 tbsps roasted peanuts, chopped
• 1/2 cucumber, deseeded and sliced
• 200g sugar snap peas, halved lengthways
• fresh coriander, mint and Thai basil to serve
• 1 pomelo, segmented and chopped, juice reserved
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Mix all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Brush the beef with oil and season well. Heat a large ovenproof frying pan over a high heat, then sear the beef all over for 2-3 minutes to brown.
- Brush the beef with the dressing, then roast for about 15 minutes for rare (or 45-50°C on a digital thermometer) or 20-25 minutes for medium or medium to well done (55-60°C), basting with cooking juices and a little dressing every 10 minutes or so. Rest the beef in the pan for 15 minutes while you make the salad.
- Soak the beansprouts in cold water for 10 minutes, then drain. Toss the sprouts with the remaining salad ingredients, the reserved pomelo juice and the rest of the dressing in a large bowl, then transfer to a platter. Slice the beef, drizzle with any resting juices and serve with the salad.
This great family recipe is thanks to Delicious Magazine at https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/seared-asian-beef-fillet-pomelo-salad/