Plate grilled jumbo scallops on a bed of celery root rémoulade, a cool and creamy French sauce spiked with mustard. For a truly over-the-top experience, garnish each scallop with a spoonful of caviar and pair with Sauvignon Blanc.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8
• 1/4 tsp sea salt
• 1 cup mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup buttermilk
• 2 tsps sherry vinegar
• 2 tbsps Dijon mustard
• 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
• Garnishes: caviar, dill sprigs
• 2 tbsps whole-grain mustard
• 8 jumbo dry-pack fresh scallops
• 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 tsp hot paprika or cayenne pepper
• 1 large celery root (about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into thin strips
- Combine mayonnaise and next 7 ingredients until well-blended. Stir in celery root. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Combine olive oil and paprika; brush on scallops. Broil, sear, or grill scallops about 1 to 2 minutes per side or until heated through.
- With a slotted spoon, divide celery root evenly among 8 plates, and top each with a scallop. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
- A smooth, barrel-aged Sauvignon Blanc to complement the sweet scallops and creamy celery root salad. Alternative Pours: A Chardonnay or Pinot Blanc that has seen some wood. Or one of the "meritage" whites--handcrafted wines from Bordeaux grapes--being made in California, such as Caymus Conundrum.
This great family recipe is thanks to My Recipes at https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/scallops-with-celery-root-salad