Feed a crowd with these flavoursome sausage sandwiches topped with melted cheese and caramelised onion. Are you drooling yet?
• Prep time: 30 minutes
• Cook time: 45 minutes
• Yield: Serves 10 - 11
• olive oil spray
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 11 x bakery bread rolls
• 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
• 2 x 200g packs tomatoes
• 1/4 cup (55g) brown sugar
• oven-baked chips, to serve
• 2 cups (240g) grated cheddar
• 120g pack baby rocket leaves
• 3 large red onions, thinly sliced
• 1.7kg Beef Sausages or any types of sausages you like
- Preheat oven to 180C. Heat oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add onion and cook for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally, until golden and starting to caramelise. Add sugar and vinegar and cook for a further 10 mins until caramelised.
- Meanwhile, place tomatoes on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spray with oil and season. Bake for 12-15 mins or until blistered. Set aside to cool slightly. Transfer to a bowl. Add rocket and toss to combine.
- Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill on medium. Cook sausages, turning, for 8-10 mins until cooked through.
- Preheat grill on high. Make a cut in the top of the rolls almost all the way through. Reserve 1/4 cup of caramelised onion. Fill rolls with remaining caramelised onion and arrange 2 sausages in each roll. Top with cheddar. Cook under grill for 1-2 mins or until the cheddar melts and is golden. Top with reserved caramelised onion. Serve with salad and chips.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste at https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/sausage-sandwiches-caramelised-onion/bb8fc756-4a67-40cd-82e5-04e78c9273f2