Tomato kasundi is a spicy Indian relish that amps up this classic recipe for a sausage sandwich come Australia Day.
• Prep and cook time: 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• 2 onions, thinly sliced
• 6 thick pork sausages
• 8 thick slices white bread
• 1/4 bunch chives, chopped
• 1/3 cup (95g) Dijon mustard
• 4 thick slices vintage cheddar
• 1/4 cup (60ml) white wine vinegar
• 1/2 bunch dill, fronds picked, chopped
• 3 cups thinly shredded savoy cabbage
• 1/3 cup tomato kasundi (or mango chutney)
• 1/4 bunch tarragon, leaves picked, chopped
• Micro parsley (or flat-leaf parsley leaves), to serve
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frypan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 20 minutes or until soft and caramelised.
- Stir in sugar and 1 tbs vinegar, and season with salt. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Preheat oven grill to high. Cook sausages for 10-12 minutes until cooked through. Toss cabbage with half the dill, remaining 2 tbs vinegar and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Combine tarragon, chive and remaining dill with mustard. Spread 4 bread slices with mustard mixture and top with caramelised onion. Cut sausages in half and arrange, cut-side down, on top of onion.
- Top with cheese, pickled cabbage and micro parsley. Spread remaining bread with kasundi and use to top sandwiches, kasundi-side down. Serve immediately.
This great family recipe is thanks to Delicious at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/sausage-sandwich-herb-mustard-kasundi/lsRKo8A2?r=recipes/collections/yil20vmy