Yummy duck! I used a whole duck which I stuffed with half the rosemary and about 3 cloves of garlic, then sat it on the other half of the rosemary and another 3 cloves of garlic, I sprinkled some red chili flakes over too. I baked it in my clay pot for two hours before pouring the sauce over and finishing it with the lid off for 15 minutes more. I was a bit worried that 5 spice (Asian) and rosemary and red wine (very European) wouldn't be quite right, but it was great.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 4 ducks legs
• ½ tsp five spice powder
• bunch of rosemary sprigs
• 4 fat garlic cloves
• half a bottle of red wine
• 2 tbsp redcurrant or quince jelly
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Put the duck legs in one layer in a roasting tin on a bed of rosemary sprigs and garlic cloves. Sprinkle with salt and five-spice powder. Roast for 1 hr.
- Bring the wine and jelly to a gentle simmer, stirring to dissolve the jelly, then continue to simmer for 5 mins. When the duck has been cooking for an hr remove from the oven and spoon off almost all the fat (save it for roast potatoes), then pour the wine mixture around it and return to the oven for 10-15 mins to finish cooking and reduce the sauce.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC goodfood at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1188/roast-duck-legs-with-red-wine-sauce