• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• 75g butter
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 x duck breast
• 100g mixed salad
• 150ml orange juice
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
• 1 tsp Demerara sugar
• 2 fresh passion fruit, seeds removed
• 1/2 a small watermelon seeds removed and diced into 2-3 cm pieces
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c.
- Dry the skin of the duck with absorbent paper and score the skin 6-8 times with a sharp knife . Place the duck breast skin side down in a pan on a low to medium heat (no oil) until the skin is crisp and golden . Pour off any excess fat and place the duck, skin side down on a roasting tray and place into the preheated oven.
- Cook for 6-20 mins depending on how you like your duck cooked. Remove the duck from the oven and rest for at least 10 mins in a warm place.
- While the duck is cooking start preparing the sauce and water melon. Place the Orange juice into a pan and reduce by a 1/3. Add the caster sugar and dissolve. Add in the passion fruit, bring to the boil, take off heat and whisk half the butter and set aside.
- Place the remaining butter in to a frying pan with the olive oil . Bring to a high heat and add in the watermelon. Toss for 30 seconds, sprinkle over the Demerara and toss again. Set aside.
- When you are ready to serve, pour any juices from the duck into the Orange sauce and stir. Thinly slice the duck and place on to a platter. Pour the Orange sauce over the duck on the platter, place the leaves and the watermelon into the middle of the table and share this romantic dish together!
This great family recipe is thanks to Gressingham Duck at https://www.gressinghamduck.co.uk/recipes/roast-duck-breast-with-orange-passion-fruit-sauce/