Prawn Cocktail with Marie Rose Sauce
• Prep time: Less than 30 minutes
• Cook time: Less than 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 Little Gem lettuce
• malt vinegar, to taste
• Lemon juice, to taste
• cayenne pepper, to serve
• 20 x raw tiger prawns, shells on
• 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves picked
For the sauce:
• pinch salt
• ½ tsp paprika
• ½ lemon, juice only
• 4 tbsps mayonnaise
• 1 tbsp double cream
• 5 tbsps tomato ketchup
• 1 pinch cayenne pepper
• few drops Tabasco sauce
• 2 pinches smoked paprika
• 1 tsp cracked black pepper
• 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add a squeeze of lemon and glug of vinegar. Add the whole prawns and cook until they rise to the surface. Drain and chill in ice-cold water.
- Peel the cooled prawns, leaving one prawn whole per serving (for the garnish).
- Cut the little Little Gem lettuce in half and place in ice-cold water to crisp it up.
- For the sauce, mix all the sauce ingredients together.
- To assemble the cocktails, drain the lettuce and pat dry with kitchen paper. Arrange two-thirds of the leaves in martini glasses or small bowls.
- Shred the remaining leaves and add to a mixing bowl. Add the peeled prawns and spoonful of sauce. Top with the unpeeled prawn and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC Recipes at https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/prawn_cocktail_with_13755