The tangy cucumber adds a refreshing pop of flavour and crunchy texture to these rolls. And it’s a great way to use leftover turkey, pork or chicken.
• Prep and cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 4 long crusty bread rolls
• fresh coriander sprigs to serve
• 2 cups finely shredded iceberg lettuce
• 1 long fresh red chilli, thinly sliced, to serve
• 20 cooked medium prawns, peeled, deveined
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 2 tsps white sugar
• 2 tbsps rice wine vinegar
• 1 lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
Spicy cocktail sauce:
• 2 tbsps tomato sauce
• 2 tbsps fresh lime juice
• 1 tbsp sriracha chilli sauce
• 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
• 125g (1/2 cup) kewpie or whole-egg mayonnaise
- For the quick-pickle cucumber, place the cucumber, vinegar, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Use your hands to combine, ensuring each slice is coated in the liquid. Set aside for 15 minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Meanwhile, for the cocktail sauce, place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir until well combined.
- When ready to assemble, gently squeeze and discard the excess liquid from the pickled cucumber. Split the bread rolls lengthways, taking care not to cut all the way through. Generously spread both sides of bread with the spicy cocktail sauce. Top with the iceberg lettuce and cucumber. Divide prawns among the rolls and drizzle with extra cocktail sauce. Sprinkle with the coriander sprigs and chilli.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste Recipes at https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/prawn-cocktail-banh-mi-recipeefbbbf/nwqu9bf3