Pesto Chicken Bruschetta
This pesto chicken is cooked to perfection, topped with fresh mozzarella and juicy, garlicky fresh chopped tomatoes that’s basically everything you love about bruschetta, minus the bread.
We wanted to get creative with this recipe, but couldn't bear to stray too far away from a classic pesto. There is nothing better than sweet basil, salty parmesan, and rich pine nuts all blended into one stunning pesto. You're going to love it paired with fresh mozzarella and ripe, juicy garlicky tomatoes as much as we do.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 4 x chicken breasts
• 4 x slices fresh mozzarella
• freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For basil pesto:
• 1 cup pine nuts
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 2 cup basil leaves
• 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
For tomato bruschetta:
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp pepper
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
• 4 leaves fresh basil, cut into thin strips
• 10 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- Heat oven to 400°F with a rack in the middle position. Alternatively heat your outside charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat.
- Place all ingredients for the pesto into a small food processor and pulse until combined. We like pesto a little bit "chunky" but tastes differ, so feel free to make it as smooth as you'd like. Also feel free to add more olive oil a little at a time if necessary.
- In a small bowl, toss together all ingredients for the tomato bruschetta. Set aside to let the flavors mingle.
- Pat the chicken dry and rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper.
For baking the chicken in the oven: Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and bake until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165° F. About 20-30 minutes depending on the size of your chicken breast. When the chicken is almost done baking, place a slice of fresh mozzarella on each breast. Remove from oven when it is slightly melted but not dripping down the sides of the chicken.
For grilled chicken: Place the chicken on the grill and cook until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165° F. When the chicken is almost done being grilled, place a slice of fresh mozzarella on each breast. Remove from the grill when it is slightly melted but not dripping down the sides of the chicken.
- Top the mozzarella slices with a scoop of pesto and a scoop of bruschetta. Serve immediately.
This great family recipe is thanks to The Modern Proper at https://themodernproper.com/pesto-chicken-bruschetta