• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• olive oil
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp butter
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 12 sea scallops
• 2 tbsps dry vermouth
• 2 tbsps chopped chives
• 12 medium asparagus spears
• 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
• 2 tbsps shaved Parmesan cheese
• 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
• 2/3 cup diced uncooked pancetta or centre-cut bacon (about 3 1/2 ounces)
- Cut off each asparagus tip into 2 1/2-inch-long pieces. (Reserve stalks for other uses.) Toss asparagus with olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in an 8-inch square baking pan. Bake at 475° for 6 minutes. Remove from pan, and set aside.
- Cook pancetta or bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove from skillet, and drain on paper towels. Measure drippings, and add olive oil to measure 2 tablespoons.
- Sprinkle both sides of scallops with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat reserved 2 tablespoons drippings and oil in skillet over medium-high heat until hot; add scallops. Cook scallops 5 minutes, turning once, until browned on both sides. (Cook in batches if scallops don't fit in the skillet without touching.) Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add orange juice and vermouth to skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup. Remove from heat, and whisk in butter.
- Place 3 scallops on each serving plate, forming a triangle in center of plate. Arrange 3 asparagus spears, tip end up, against the scallops. Drizzle with sauce, and sprinkle with reserved pancetta, chives, and Parmesan.
This great family recipe is thanks to Coastal Living Recipes at https://www.coastalliving.com/syndication/pan-seared-scallops-with-asparagus-pancetta