Moody’s Foodie personal steak recipe for steaks at least 1-1/4 inch thick; an all-time favorite for those who cherish the rich flavor of premium dry-aged steak.
• Prep time: Allow steaks to come to room temperature (about 1 hour)
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• 2 Moody’s premium dry-aged New York strip or rib eye steaks (at least 1 1/4 inch thick)
• 2 T canola oil
• 2 T butter
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Allow steaks to come to room temperature (about 1 hour)
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot (6 to 8 minutes)
- Rub the steaks all over with 1 T canola oil then season the steaks on all sides generously with the rub or salt and pepper.
- Add 1 T canola oil to the skillet, making certain it is evenly distributed in the pan, and carefully add the steaks.
- Cook without turning until deeply browned and crusty – about 5 to 6 minutes depending on thickness.
- Flip the steaks and cook until browned on the second side – 2 to 4 minutes depending on preferred doneness.
- Remove from pan, platter the steaks and add 1 T butter to each. Tent with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Note: Cooking time generally produces steaks between medium and medium rare depending on thickness.
* TIPS: When fresh herbs are available, you might want to try this great natural rub: Garlic, thyme and rosemary all finely chopped mixed with salt and pepper and the canola oil.
This great family recipe is thanks to Moody's-Butcher-Shop Recipes at https://moodysbutchershop.com/pan-seared-new-york-strip-or-rib-eye-steak-for-steaks-at-least-1-%C2%BC-inch-thick/