This gorgeous comfort food dish is super-easy to put together and delivers big on the flavour front. You end up with a mega tray of oozy cheese-topped meatballs in thick, delicious gravy, ready to be spooned into warm subs.
• Prep and cook time: 1 hour
• Yield: Serves 6
• olive oil
• 1 small potato
• 50g watercress
• red wine vinegar
• 6 submarine rolls
• 500g quality minced beef
• 100g red leicester cheese
• 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
• 500g minced higher-welfare pork shoulder
For the gravy:
• 2 red onions
• 1 bulb of fennel
• 1 tbsp HP sauce
• 100ml porter or stout
• 1 tsp English mustard
• 1 tbsp mango chutney
• 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
• 1 heaped tbsps plain flour
• 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1 litre quality organic chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6. Lightly oil a large roasting tray.
- Peel and coarsely grate the potato, then place in a bowl with the minced pork and beef. Scrunch together, then use wet hands to divide and roll the mixture into 21 balls, each slightly larger than a golf ball. Reserving 3, place the rest in the prepared roasting tray and set aside.
- To make the gravy, peel the onions, trim the fennel, then finely chop both and place in a large pan on a medium heat with 1 tablespoon of oil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Break in the 3 reserved meatballs, then cook for a further 10 minutes on a high heat, or until dark golden. Stir in the flour for 2 minutes, then add the porter and leave to cook away.
- Pour in the stock, stir in the remaining gravy ingredients, then bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes, or until thick and glossy.
- Meanwhile, season the tray of meatballs with sea salt and black pepper, then cook in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- Transfer the tray to a medium heat on the hob, pour over the gravy, add the rosemary sprigs and simmer for a few minutes while you warm the rolls in the cooling oven.
- Stir a splash of vinegar into the gravy, then grate over the cheese and turn off the heat.
- Slice open the rolls, then spoon in the cheesy meatballs and gravy. Top with pinches of watercress, and serve with any leftover gravy for dunking. Epic!
This great family recipe is thanks to Jamie Oliver at https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/mega-meatball-sub/