Grilled salmon with a tangy and refreshing cucumber salad over top makes a light and easy weeknight dinner.
• Prep and cook time: 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• kosher salt
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 4 pieces (6 oz) salmon fillets
• freshly ground black pepper
For the Cucumber-Dill Salad:
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp sugar
• 1 English cucumber
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
• 2 tbsps white wine vinegar
• 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsps sour cream
• freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1/3 cup finely sliced red onion, from one small red onion
• 3 tbsps mayonnaise, best quality such as Hellmann's or Duke's
- Cut the cucumber in half and then slice each half down the middle lengthwise. Use the tip of a teaspoon to scoop out the center seeds. Cut each half into thin slices and place in a colander along with the red onion slices. Toss with salt and let sit in the sink for at least 30 minutes, until the water drains out.
- In the meantime, make the dressing: combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, white wine vinegar, dill, garlic, sugar and black pepper in a medium bowl and mix well.
- When the cucumbers and onions are ready, release any excess water by tapping the colander on the base of the sink, then use a large wad of paper towels to pat the vegetables dry. Add to the dressing and toss well. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Clean the grill rack, then brush lightly with oil. Close the lid and let return to temperature. Rub the salmon with olive oil and season generously with kosher salt (about ¾ teaspoon) and pepper. Place the fillets skin side down and grill until golden brown and slightly charred, 4-5 minutes (resist the urge to peek or flip early; when fillets are nicely seared on the first side, they should release easily). Flip the fillets over and continue grilling until done, 2-3 minutes. Let cool slightly, remove the skin if desired, and serve with the cold cucumber-dill salad piled over top or alongside.
This great family recipe is thanks to Once Upon A Chef at https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/grilled-salmon-with-creamy-cucumber-dill-salad.html