This simple duck breast dish is perfect as an end of the week treat and proves that cooking with duck is not as difficult as you may think!
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• salt and pepper
• a knob of butter
• 2 x duck breasts
• 200g sweet potatoes
• 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
• a handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into large diced pieces.
- Next, steam or simmer the sweet potatoes until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking you can prepare the duck by scoring the skin six to eight times with a sharp knife and season on both sides with sea salt.
- Place the duck breasts skin-side down in a pan on a low to medium heat (no oil) and cook for about 6 minutes or until the skin is golden and crisp. Turn the breasts over and quickly seal.
- After pouring off any excess fat put the duck in a roasting tray skin-side down and place in the preheated oven. Cook in a preheated oven (220oC, Fan 200oC, Gas Mark 7) for 10-20 minutes depending on how you like your duck, from rare to well done. Then remove the duck from the oven and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes (this is really important and makes the duck even more succulent).
- While the duck is resting mash the sweet potato with with the butter and nutmeg, and season well. Fold in the chopped coriander.
- Serve with green beans and gravy.
This great family recipe is thanks to Gressingham Duck at https://www.gressinghamduck.co.uk/recipes/duck-breast-with-sweet-potato-mash/