• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 45 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 8 chicken thighs
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 2 tbsps canola oil
• 1 tbsp ras ai-hanut*
• Harissa sauce, recipe follows
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
• 3/4 cup apricots, sliced into half moons
• Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
• large pinch saffron, soaked in 1/4 cup warm water
• 1 large yellow onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
• 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes, drained (15 ounce can)
• 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained (15 ounce can)
For harissa sauce:
• 1 tbsp harissa
• 1/2 cup cream fraiche
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat canola oil in a large Dutch oven or a tagine over high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and place in the hot pan, skin side down, in batches if needed; cook until golden brown. Turn the thighs over and cook for 2 minutes longer. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the oil from the pan then add the olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the ras al-hanut and cook another 30 seconds. Add the saffron with the soaking liquid, cinnamon stick, tomatoes, chickpeas, and apricots and bring to a simmer. Nestle the chicken into the mixture and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook on the stovetop or in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Do not remove the lid to check on the chicken until this time. Garnish each serving with a dollop of Harissa Sauce, parsley and cilantro.
- For harissa sauce: Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl and let stand at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.
This great family recipe is thanks to Food Network at https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/chicken-and-chickpea-tagine-with-apricots-and-harissa-sauce-recipe-1953787