Brandade with Seared Scallops and a Grapefruit Relish
• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• ¾ lb Yukon gold potatoes
• 1 cup 2 % milk
• ¼ cup water
• 8 thyme sprigs
• 1 bay leaf
• 9 white peppercorns
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• ½ lb smoked sablefish
• ½ cup heavy cream
• 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 2 ruby grapefruits
• ½ Thai chili, finely chopped
• ¼ cup finely diced red onion
• ¼ cup finely diced yellow onion
• 1 tbsp brown sugar
• 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 8 large scallops, muscle removed
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• Chervil to garnish
- Place potatoes, skin on, in a saucepan and cover with
lightly salt water.
- Bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to
medium and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until
potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain. Peel potatoes and put through a ricer or food
mill. Keep warm.
- In another saucepan, combine milk, water, thyme, bay
leaf, peppercorns and garlic.
- Bring to a boil on medium heat. Add sablefish and
simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and allow fish to cool in
poaching liquid, about 5 minutes.
- In another saucepan, bring cream to just a boil on
medium heat. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Remove fish from poaching liquid. Place equal
amounts (1/2 lb. of each) of potatoes and sablefish in
bowl of a kitchen mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Mix on a low speed, slowly adding warm cream (just
enough to moisten mixture).
- Add extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and freshly
ground white pepper. Keep warm.
- Cut peel off of ruby grapefruits. Segment grapefruit,
removing membrane and any pith.
- Roughly chop segments and reserve in a bowl.
- Squeeze excess juice from grapefruit membrane and
reserve the juice separately.
- In a large sauté pan, on medium heat, add olive oil
- Add red onion, yellow onion and chili and sauté until
onions are translucent.
- Add brown sugar and cook for 1 minute, until sugar is
- Add vinegar and reserved grapefruit juice and cook
until liquid becomes syrupy, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in grapefruit segments.
- Allow mix to cool and transfer to an airtight container.
Keep refrigerated until ready to use. Will keep
refrigerated up to 3 days.
- Season scallops on both sides with salt and freshly
ground white pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan on high
- Add scallops and sear for 1-½ minutes on each side.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 2 minutes.
- Divide brandade in the centre of 4 warmed dinner
- Place 2 scallops in the middle of each serving and top
with a spoonful of relish.
- Garnish with a small sprig of chervil. Serve
This great family recipe is thanks to Clearwater Recipes at https://www.clearwater.ca/en/clearwater-kitchen-industry/recipes/scallop-recipes/sea-scallop-recipes/brandade-with-seared-scallops-and-a-grapefruit-rel/