The star of this sophisticated dish is a velvety butter sauce brightened with briny capers and lime juice. We’re using the sauce to baste flaky barramundi fillets as they cook, then serving it all over hearty beluga lentils tossed with warming ras el hanout-spiced vegetables.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• 1 Lime
• 1 bunch kale
• 2 tbsps butter
• 1 Sweet Onion
• 1 tbsp Ras El Hanout
• 1/2 cup Black Beluga Lentils
• 2 Skin-On Barramundi Fillets
- Cook the lentils: Heat a medium pot of salted water to boiling on high. Once boiling, add the lentils and cook 24 to 26 minutes, or until tender. Thoroughly drain the lentils and rinse under warm water, then return to the pot. Cover to keep warm.
- Prepare the ingredients: While the lentils cook, wash and dry the fresh produce. Peel and thinly slice the onion. Remove and discard the stems of the kale; roughly chop the leaves. Roughly chop the capers. Zest the lime to get 1 teaspoon (if you don’t have a zester, use a peeler to remove the green rind, avoiding the white pith; mince the rind). Quarter the lime.
- Cook the onion & kale: While the lentils continue to cook, in a medium pan (nonstick, if you have one), heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the sliced onion and ras el hanout; cook, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes, or until softened. Add the chopped kale and 1/3 cup of water (carefully, as the liquid may splatter). Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, 4 to 5 minutes, or until the kale is wilted and the water has cooked off. Transfer to a bowl and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Rinse and wipe out the pan.
- Start the fish: Pat the fish dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper on both sides. In the same pan, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium until hot. Add the seasoned fish, skin side down, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned and crispy. Flip the fish and add 3/4 of the butter; cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until the butter is melted.
- Finish the fish & make the sauce: Add the chopped capers and the juice of 3 lime wedges to the pan; season with salt and pepper. Cook, occasionally spooning the sauce over the fish, 1 to 2 minutes, or until the sauce is thoroughly combined and the fish is cooked through. Turn off the heat.
- Finish the lentils & serve your dish: To the pot of cooked lentils, add the cooked onion and kale, lime zest, remaining butter, and the juice of the remaining lime wedge. Cook on medium-high, stirring frequently, 1 to 2 minutes, or until thoroughly combined and the butter is melted. Turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the finished lentils topped with the cooked fish and sauce. Enjoy!
This great family recipe is thanks to Blue Apron Recipes at https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/seared-barramundi-caper-butter-sauce-with-kale-lentils