• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 1/4 cup Sage-Pecan Pesto (you could make this with purchased basil pesto if you don't have fresh sage)
• 1/4 cup crumbled feta (packed)
• 1/4 cup Almond Meal (can also use bread crumbs)
• 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
• 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a flat roasting pan with olive oil or nonstick spray. Trim all visible fat and tendons from chicken breasts, then put each chicken piece inside heavy plastic bag and pound with meal mallet until the chicken is 1/4 inch thick. (Don't worry if there are some ragged edges, you can tuck them in.) Lay chicken skin side down on cutting board.
- Put crumbled Feta and pesto in a small bowl and mix together with a fork. Divide pesto mixture evenly among four chicken breasts, then use a spoon to spread it over the chicken, not going completely to the edge or the stuffing will leak out. Roll up each chicken breast, starting with the smallest end and tucking in any ragged edges, then secure each piece with two toothpicks.
Put beaten egg in one bowl and combine almond meal and parmesan in another. Dip each chicken piece first in egg, then in almond/parmesan mixture, turning over several times so chicken is well-coated.
- Place chicken pieces in baking pan and cook until chicken feels firm but not hard to the touch (about 40 minutes, but start checking a little sooner.) If desired, put chicken under the broiler for 3-4 minutes to brown the top. (I did broil the top a bit.) Serve hot.
This great family recipe is thanks to Kick Hunger Recipes at http://kickhunger.blogspot.com/2015/08/how-to-baked-chicken-breasts-stuffed.html