Oriental Duck Salad
A zingy oriental duck salad that is easy to cook and prepare. Makes a fantastic alternative to more traditional duck dishes.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2 - 4
• 4 duck breasts
• salt and pepper
• 2 tbsps lime juice
• 1 dsp palm sugar
• 3 tbsps fish sauce
• 2 shallots, finely sliced
• roasted peanuts (Optional)
• 4 spring onions, cut into thin discs
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
• 1/2 cucumber, cut into match sticks
• 2 celery sticks, cut into match sticks
• 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, finely sliced
• 2 red chillies, de-seeded and finely sliced
• 4 crisp baby gems or similar lettuce, shredded
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC, Fan 160oC, Gas Mark 4.
- Score the fat on each duck breast and season well, place the duck breasts skin side down into a large frying pan, and place on a medium heat (without oil) and cook for about 8 minutes until the fat has rendered out and the skin has gone golden brown and crispy.
- Turn the duck breasts over briefly to seal the flesh side, and then transfer to a roasting dish and place in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by adding the fish sauce, lime juice, garlic, chilli and sugar to a small pan and placing over a medium heat stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Leave the duck breasts to rest for 5-10 minutes before carving. Arrange the lettuce, shallots, spring onions, cucumber, celery and peppers onto 4 plates. Lay a carved duck breast on top of each salad and drizzle with the dressing. If using, scatter the roasted peanuts over the plate.
This great family recipe is thanks to Gressingham Duck at https://www.gressinghamduck.co.uk/recipes/oriental-duck-salad/