Duck steaks are super speedy to cook, pair well with almost anything and above all are low in fat and high in protein. By removing the skin from the duck breasts they become a lean source of protein, in fact they are as lean as chicken breasts but with tons more flavour.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 45 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 duck breasts
• 2 sweet potatoes
• 1 red onion
• 2 handfuls of watercress
• 1 pomegranate
For the Pea Hummus:
• 300g frozen petit pois pea
• 10g fresh parsley (stalks and leaves)
• 1 small clove of garlic
• Juice of a small lemon
• 2 tbsp (30ml) extra virgin olive oil
• 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
• 1/4 tsp sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To make the baked sweet potato, preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Pierce the sweet potatoes 3-4 times with a sharp knife and wrap in tin foil. Put them in the oven for 45-60 minutes or until fully cooked.
- To make the pea hummus, boil a kettle, put the frozen peas in a bowl and pour over the boiling water. Allow it to stand for 10 minutes to defrost the peas then drain.
- Put the peas, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, smoked paprika and sea salt in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Season with freshly ground black pepper and more sea salt if required.
- To make the duck steak, remove the skin from 2 duck breasts. Take a sheet of cling film and place a duck breast in the middle. Fold the other end of the cling film over so that the duck breast is sitting in the middle of 2 sheets of cling film. Using a rolling pin, bash the duck breast until it is 1” thick. Repeat with the second duck breast.
- Heat a griddle pan on a medium/ high heat (alternatively use a frying pan with a teaspoon of coconut oil in it). Cook the duck steaks for 3 minutes on each side.
- To assemble the dish, put a duck steak and a baked sweet potato on a plate. Top the sweet potato with the pea hummus, scatter over the watercress leaves, sliced red onion and pomegranate seeds.
This great family recipe is thanks to Gressingham duck Recipes at https://www.gressinghamduck.co.uk/recipes/skinny-duck-steak-baked-sweet-potato-pea-hummus