This special occasion dinner uses a handy method of coating the lamb in a caramelised onion glaze before resting for the ideal tenderness and flavour. Although there’s a bit of prep at the start, you’ll have time to relax while the veggies are in the oven – set the table, pour your drink of choice or just put your feet up while the flavours mingle into a magic meal.
• Prep and cook time: 45 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• olive oil
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 2 clove garlic
• 2 packet potato
• 1 bunch rosemary
• 1 bunch asparagus
• 1 block feta cheese
• 1 packet lamb shortloin
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 packet slivered almonds
• 1 bunch baby rainbow carrots
• 1 packet caramelised onion chutney
- Cut the potato (unpeeled) into 2cm wedges. Trim the green tops from the baby rainbow carrots. Place the potato and carrots on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle generously with olive oil, sprinkle with the salt and season with pepper. Roast the veggies until golden and cooked through, 25-30 minutes. TIP: Cut the veggies to size so they cook in time.
- While the veggies are roasting, finely chop the garlic. Pick the rosemary leaves and finely chop. In a medium bowl, combine the garlic, rosemary, caramelised onion chutney and balsamic vinegar. Drizzle with olive oil and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Trim the woody ends of the asparagus (about 3cm). Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the slivered almonds and toast, tossing, until golden, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl. Return the frying pan to a medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the asparagus and cook, tossing, until just tender, 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Pat the lamb shortloin dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Return the frying pan to a high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook the lamb for 3-4 minutes each side for medium, or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove the pan from the heat, then add the caramelised onion mixture to the lamb and turn to coat. Set aside on a tray or plate to rest for 4 minutes.
- Slice the rosemary lamb shortloin. Divide the roasted veggies and asparagus between plates. Top with the lamb and spoon over the excess sauce from the pan. Garnish with the toasted almonds and crumble over the feta.
This great family recipe is thanks to HELLO FRESH at https://www.hellofresh.co.nz/recipes/rosemary-caramelised-onion-lamb-rump-5e8539d3532ad905ad033c3a