Everybody loves a good meat pie and this lamb, rosemary and garlic pie is just delicious!
• Prep time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
• Cook time: 2 hours and 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1kg diced lamb
• 1 red onion, thinly sliced
• 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 500g golden delight potatoes, peeled, cubed
• 2 carrots, peeled, cubed
• 1/2 cup tomato paste
• 1/3 cup gravy powder
• 3 cups Massel beef stock
• 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
• 2 tablespoons cornflour
• 4 sheets frozen ready-rolled puff pastry, partially thawed
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add half the lamb. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining lamb.
- Heat remaining oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add potatoes and carrots. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add tomato paste and gravy powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Return lamb to pan. Add stock and worcestershire sauce. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until lamb is tender. Stir in rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.
Combine cornflour and 2 tablespoons warm water. Add to lamb mixture. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Lightly grease two 3cm-deep, 20cm (base) round glass or ceramic pie dishes. Line base and sides of each dish with 1 sheet of pastry, trimming excess. Place each dish on a baking tray. Line pastry cases with baking paper. Fill with uncooked rice or ceramic pie weights. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove baking paper and rice or weights.
- Divide lamb mixture between pastry cases. Place remaining pastry sheets over filling. Trim. Press edges together with a fork to seal. Prick top of pastry with a fork. Brush with egg.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden. Remove from oven. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste at https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/lamb-rosemary-garlic-pies/da541267-bf83-4879-adc1-8f871d347d00