Juicy chicken and mushrooms in creamy sauce under melty cheese... This creamy Chicken Madeira is a copycat recipe of the most popular dish at the Cheesecake Factory.
Juicy chicken and mushrooms in a madeira cream sauce under melty cheese and asparagus… all you need is mashed potatoes to go with it. This creamy Chicken Madeira is one of the most popular menu item at the Cheesecake Factory. It is popular for good reason! We love recreating our favorite restaurant copycat recipes like this one from Olive Garden!
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 45 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 lb Chicken Breasts (2 large) , halved lengthwise and pounded to an even 1/4" thickness
• 1 lb asparagus blanched*
• 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided and black pepper to taste
• 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter divided
• 2 Tbsp Olive Oil divided
• 16 oz button mushrooms thickly sliced
• 1 small or 1/2 medium yellow onion finely diced
• 2 large garlic cloves minced
• 2 Tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped, plus to garnish
• 1 1/2 cups Madeira Wine sweet white wine*
• 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef stock or broth
• 1/2 cup Whipping Cream heavy or regular
• 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- To blanch asparagus: Remove fibrous stems from asparagus by snapping them off. Fill a medium pot with 6 cups water, bring to a boil and add 1 Tbsp salt. Add asparagus and boil uncovered until crisp tender and bright green (2-3 minutes then remove from hot water and set aside).
- Place a large heavy (oven-safe) pan over medium/high heat and melt in 2 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil. Add sliced mushrooms and cook 5 min until soft. Stir in diced onion and cook 3 min. Add minced garlic cloves then season with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper and 2 Tbsp parsley. Cook another 2 min then remove mixture to a plate and wipe skillet clean with wet paper towel.
- Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise and pound each cutlet between plastic wrap until no more than 1/4" thick. Season chicken all over with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Place same pan over medium/high heat and add 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil. When butter is finished foaming, add chicken breasts and sauté 3 to 4 min per side or until golden and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan to the same plate with mushrooms.
- In the same pan, add 1 1/2 cups Madeira and boil until reduced by half (5 minutes vigorous boiling), scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Add 1 1/2 cups beef broth and boil until 2/3 cup liquid remains or about 1/4 of it's original volume (10 min). Reduce heat to medium, add 1/2 cup cream and simmer until sauce thickens (2 min). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return chicken to the pan, turning it to coat in the sauce. Top with mushrooms, asparagus and sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese over the top. Broil 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven, garnish with fresh parsley.
NOTE: * Found at the liquor and wine store - not carried in most grocery stores. $6 bottle.
This great family recipe is thanks to Natashas Kitchen Recipes at https://natashaskitchen.com/chicken-madeira-recipe/?